After your engagement, you will want to make sure that you begin the registry process 7-9 months before your wedding date. Why so early? You will want to have your registry in place so that not only wedding guests can take advantage of it, but also shower guests!
Where to Register
When beginning your registry journey, talk about possible registry locations, keeping it simple in choosing three or four. You will want to provide a variety of options for your friends and family, but you don't want to get too carried away. Think about your needs and make sure that the items are available within the locations you have chosen. Here in the South, it is important to choose a location that is easily accessible in person. Although online registries have become more and more popular, you will want to make sure there are brick-and-morter options for the not so “computer savy” crowd. Most small Southern towns are used to purchasing wedding gifts at their local jewlery or retail store. It is important to be considerate of those who will be purchasing the gifts.
How to Register
Although “how to register” sounds a bit silly, there are a few things you will want to take into consideration before you start! With local retail stores, it is usually a good idea to call ahead and make an appointment. This ensures that help will be on hand to answer any of your questions and that they are prepared for your arrival. With large retailers, online or in store, it's pretty simple! An appointment is not necessary since they usually have plenty of help on hand.
What to Register For
When deciding what to list on your registry, you will want to keep a few things in mind. Asking yourself these questions will ensure that you have a registry that is well thought out (and coordinating)! It will also keep you from becoming overwhelmed at all of your options once they are in front of you. One thing I like to tell our brides is to think about what they might want a few years down the road. Although they might not like to bake now—they may in a couple of years! Just keep that in mind and focus on having a nicely stocked kitchen.
- Would you rather have fine china, everyday dishes, or both?
- How many placesettings of each? (most people register for 8 to 12--think about having guests over!)
- Would you like a flatware (other than your everyday) to go with your china? If so, you will typically want the same number of place settings as your china.
- What style serving pieces do you like best? (pewter, crystal, ceramic)
- What will you want for entertaining 10, 20, even 30 years down the road? (platters, napkins, table cloths, pitchers, cook books, vases)
- What linens do you need for your home? (keep your future home in mind!)
- Do you need bedding? (sheets, comforters, pillows, blankets)
- What small kitchen appliances might you need? (what color or finish?)
Download your own Registry Checklist created by The Southern Merc gang on our Wedding Printables page! It will help you think through your registry even further and ensure that you have everything covered!